[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent for colour managed display

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:46:24 +1000

Milan Knížek wrote:

The perceptual (and saturation, too) intent requires that both source
and target gamuts are known when profiles are created and this intent is
supported only by LUT profiles (not the shaper/matrix ones).

I think that's a reasonable statement (and true when applied to
Argyll's profile), although I'd clarify by saying that only the
destination profile has to be a LUT type, since that is where the
gamut mapping is done.

Others might disagree though (particularly those who are in the "ICCV4
PRMG works" camp), since by distributing the gamut mapping between
source and destination with an agreed PCS gamut in between, (what I
would call) saturation intent is supported in a mix and match fashion
for LUT profiles. Note that this approach can be employed with V2
profiles, but you would only expect it when source and destination
profiles created by the same software.

Which implicates that if one wants to use the perceptual intent for
displaying images on the monitor, one must create several monitor
profiles for images in working spaces bigger then the monitor gamut
(AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB, etc.) and possibly also for the printer profile
for soft-proofing.

These monitor profiles would behave the same way for the colorimetric
intents, but will provide different results for the gamut mapping
intents (perceptual, saturation).

Using Argyll's approach, yes.