[argyllcms] Re: New User - MacOS Lion - i1Pro - tutorial?

  • From: Mark MacKenzie <mjmackenzie22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:51:08 -0700

Hi Phil.

This is wonderful.

I am going to reinstall Argyll as per your suggestion. I had originally cut and pasted it into my Applications folder. That might explain one of my issues with starting it in the Terminal.

I had just started using "Stickies" to build my commands in. Your suggestion is better.

I will try this out a bit later today.

Thank you again for starting me off. I will find that Colorsync list thread you mention.

Regards

Mark

On 2/26/12 10:34 AM, Phil Cruse wrote:
Hi Mark,
I was a newbie a few years ago! I learnt a lot from a quick-start guide posted
by Klaus Karcher on the
Colorsync list. This is my very brief workflow for RGB, on OS X.
Refer to the "Scenarios" file in the Docs folder to find the meaning of the commands, and
to change to "Letter" page size from A4, etc.
I write up a text file with the various commands in TextEdit.
Use cut-and-paste to transfer commands to the terminal Watch out for typos and
missing spaces etc!!!
These are profile charts that work for me, but you may not like them!:

1) Install the Argyll s/w in a folder called argyll in your Home directory.

2) In Terminal type: cd argyll

3) temporary add the argyll binary folder to your search path:
PATH=$PATH:~/argyll/bin

4) To make "RGB"  profiling chartwith 30 grey steps (-g 30), 10 pure (-s10) colour steps per
channel, fairly "light" (-p 1.3)&  no shaper profile. 1323 patches (using 3 A4 pages):
targen -v -d 2 -G -s 10 -g 30 -p 1.3 -f 1323 Chartname

5) To make TIFF images for an i1Pro from this TI1 file:
printtarg -r -v -t -ii1 -pA4 Chartname

6) Print the charts using Abobe Color Printer Utility, to avoid colour
management being applie, RGB only!:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83497.html

7)To read profile chart:
chartread Chartname

8) To generate a (high quality) profile from these measurements, with Adobe RGB
for Perceptual space (ensure that you have an Adobe RGB profile in your Argyll
folder):
colprof -v -D " New_ProfileName" -qh -S AdobeRGB1998.icc  -cmt -dpp -O
New_ProfileName.icc Chartname

If it doesn't work, there's probably a typo in these notes!!!

Good Luck,
Phil