[argyllcms] License check for an application which uses Argyll

  • From: "Fabrizio Giudici" <Fabrizio.Giudici@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:59:40 +0100

Hello.

I'm creating an application which uses Argyll. I've read (I think carefully) all the licensing stuff, but I'd like to double-check with Graeme in order to be sure that nothing is left out. I'm posting to the mailing list since I think that the same information could be useful for others in future. In short:

- the application is named blueShades (renamed from an initial idea "blueArgyle" when I spotted Graeme's desire to avoid any ambiguous association with the original) - it's written in Java and uses the unmodified Argyll binaries by invoking them as a spawned process - it embeds an unmodified copy of Argyll (all the files included, as extracted from the tar)
- it's released under the AGPL v3 as I understand there's no other way
- it's designed in modules, the ones depending on Argyll being released under the AGPL v3, the other ones under Apache Software Foundation License v2 (it's fine for an AGPL v3 app to use ASF v2). - the license explicitly mentions Argyll (you can read it here http://blueshades.tidalwave.it/license/)
- there's another license mention on the splash screen which reads:

        blueShades is released through the Affero GNU License v3.
It embeds <a style="color: #1E2A60;" href="http://www.argyllcms.com";>Argyll CMS</a>, by Graeme Gill, released through the Affero GNU License v3. For more information, please visit
        href="blueshades.tidalwave.it">blueshades.tidalwave.it</a>.

If there's anything else to do / amend, please let me know.
Thanks.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."