[argyllcms] Lab values in BtoA matrix

  • From: John Weissberg <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:34:06 +0200

I am a bit confused about the Lab values in the BtoA LUTs. In my case, the BtoA LUTs are 33 x 33 x 33 and the abcissa for the points in the LUT are like:

L  a  b
0  0  0
0  0  1
0  0  2
32 32 30
32 32 31
32 32 32

As I understand things for this LUT, an a or b value of 0 corresponds to -128 and an a or b value of 32 corresponds to 127.

My calculations then show that a value of 16 for a or b would not correspond to 0. Instead 16 corresponds to a value of -0.5.

  16*255/32-128 = -0.5

I know this must be incorrect. Can someone please try to explain to me what I have missed.

--
John Weissberg
PerfectProof - Accuracy Made Easy

www.perfectproof.com