[argyllcms] Re: Ink-limiting an existing profile

  • From: Jan-Peter Homann <homann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lcms-user <Lcms-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:51:30 +0200

Hello Oliver
(cc. lcms user list)
Ink-limiting is actually not adressed directly by the ICC-specs.

Even Adobe Creative Suite 2 or Enfocus Pitstop, can not adress this problem.

As more or less all Open Source applications are using littleCMS as CMM, it would make sense to realize this functionality through littleCMS.

A workflow would be:
- define an output CMYK colorspace e.g. ISOcoated
- Define an Inklimit
- The image or the CMYK-content of an PDF-file must than colormanaged through littleCMS with this settings.

I´m not an programmer, but if we re able to inklimit complete images, it should theoreticly be possible also to inklimit zje Lab2CMYK tables og an ICC-profile with little CMS.

The algorithm should exactly the same.

:-) Jan-Peter

Oliver Schulz wrote:
For recalculating an existing profile with new TAC, You need a complete new calculation of the the profile.

Damn, that's what i wanted to avoid. :-) How do color-managed applications which have in ink-limit setting (Photoshop, i think) do this? Also, the littlecms tifficc converter allows to set both a target profile and an ink limit (seems to work fine), so it must be possible somehow to ink-limit a profile.

Oliver

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358
Kastanienallee 71 ------- http://www.colormanagement.de