[argyllcms] Re: Feature Request - Chartread Multiple Scans

  • From: Elena [service address] <1007140@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 23:07:00 +0100

I agree! Such a feature would be very useful indeed, and could save much time
when
averaging multiple readings !
However I think keeping separate reading files just adds up mess since one will
have
then to average them by hand and/or to cope with all those files.
Here's how I would implement it: an option to always make N scans of every line,
which will then be automatically averaged into a single file.
After N scans, the program would output a warning message if it detects that
some patterns differ too much between different scans (that could be a hint for
the
user that something went wrong, and the program could ask him if he'd like to
scan
the suspected problematic line again).
Of course the program should also be able to detect whether the user mistakenly
skipped to the next line before completing all the N scans (something that could
happen)

/&

Hello BC

On 31-Dec-2013, BC Rider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> REQUEST:   Currently Chartread can only populate one file when reading a
> printer target.  My request is for Chartread to be upgraded to populate
> multiple (N) files by doing multiple (N) scans on each row before proceeding
> to the next row to scan.
>
> BACKGROUND:  I use a ColorMunki and typically print my target once but read
> it multiple times and then verify and average the results.  This greatly
> improves the noise quality of the measurements prior to making the profile.
>
> Currently multiple reads greatly increase the total time required.   If, for
> example, scanning a single target takes 15 minutes then scanning the target
> four times will take an hour (one literally has to do everything four times).
>  But the vast majority of the time is in moving and lining up the ruler for a
> given row.  The actual scanning time and effort is trivial.
>
> If one could instead scan the row four times before moving the ruler onto the
> next row, the total time (four scans) would not be much different than the
> time for a single scan.  This suddenly makes multiple scans and averaging an
> easy process!
>
> POSSIBLE IMPLEMENTATION:  Change Chartread to take N files, with the first
> one being the normal INOUTFILE (Ti2/Ti3) and the remainder specifying
> subsequent output only files (Ti3).  In actual use chartread will then scan N
> times putting each scan into separate files before moving on to the next row.

Regards