[argyllcms] Faking the white point in camera calibration

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 00:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello again,

In a previous message, I asked about editing the wtpt tag in an ICC profile. I
am profiling a camera and the white reference of my IT8.7/2 target (patch GS00)
is not neutral. It has a slight bluish cast and this results in a slight
reddish cast when using profiles made with this target (i.e. when the white
point of the profile is mapped to perfect white).

Now, rather than editing the wtpt tag, maybe I can edit the .ti3 file and then
profile that? I am thinking to edit the XYZ_X XYZ_Y XYZ_Z and RGB_R RGB_G RGB_B
data for GS00 to make everything neutral. I can make the reference Lab neutral
by setting a and b to zero. Then I can convert these numbers to XYZ. For the
camera, I can use the average of the measured values and set R=G=B.

Is this safe or would it make problems for colprof and screw up the model
fitting?

Stephen again.