[argyllcms] Re: F1 versus F5 illuminant?

  • From: Michael Darling <darlingm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:18:23 -0500

See http://www.cis.rit.edu/research/mcsl2/online/cie.php

Under CIE Standard Illuminant Data, they have A, D65, F1-F12 sampled in 5nm
increments, either on a webpage or in Excel format.  If you graph F1 and F5
in Excel, you'll see they are very similar, but slightly different.  Same
general shape and peak points, just slightly different amplitude here and
there.

Also see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant#Illuminant_series_F

I prefer the home-made Excel graph from RIT's data, as the wikipedia graph
doesn't quite do it for me.

Someone may correct me, but comparing the two, I don't think you will see a
practical difference using F5 or F1 in ArgyllCMS.  I think the other
variables will make the difference between the two spectrums
inconsequential.

It seems common practice to include a few of the Fx's but not all of them.
A few other programs that I use that allow you to choose the illuminant
don't have them all, which furthers me believing there's not a real-world
difference between the types they group together.  Obviously a bigger
difference when you jump categories, F1-6, F7-9, and F10-12.