[argyllcms] Re: Eye of Gnome Color management

  • From: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:48:37 +0100

On Saturday 20 December 2008, Leonard Evens wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 10:34 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > (Leonard, I am cc'ing you directly, as you recently indicated not
> > receiving list messages)
> >
> > On Saturday 20 December 2008, Leonard Evens wrote:
> > > xprop -root  shows that _ICC_PROFILE has been set.  Also, both gimp and
> > > inkscape make use of it.  But the versions I have of eog (under Fedora
> > > and Ubuntu) don't appear to do so.   But it would be nice to be sure
> > > about that.   I presume that any application which does make use of it
> > > will mention that fact, in its preference settings or elsewhere.   That
> > > is why I would like to see some further explanation of how it is
> > > supposed to work under eog.
> >
> > I don't know about preference settings, but I do know how you can verify
> > at least if eog has been compiled with lcms support or not. That would
> > save you the trouble to recompile.
> >
> > There is a linux command ldd, which will show all libraries a given
> > program is linked to. On my Fedora 10 box,
> > ldd /usr/bin/eog
> > will return a long list of libraries. The relevant line is this:
> > liblcms.so.1 => /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1 (0x02f4c000)
> > Which indicates that eog is compiled with lcms support.
>
> ldd /usr/bin/eog | grep lcms
> returns
> liblcms.so.1 => /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1 (0x034bc000)
>
> But, unfortunately, it doesn't appear that eog is using it.  I compared
> the same image in eog, gthumb, inkscape, and gimp.  The first two agree
> and the second two agree, but neither pair agrees with the other.
>
> But what is more interesting is that
> ldd /usr/bin/gimp | grep lcms
> returns nothing, which suggests that gimp is doing its own color
> management.  My guess is that lcms is incorporated in its code.

Not quite. ldd only lists dynamic libraries. If lcms is not showing, this can
mean several things:
* lcms is not used at all (as you suggest)
* lcms was statically linked during compilation
* lcms is used using some other mechanism

In the case of the Gimp, it's the last one. The Gimp is a very modular
program. Much of it's functionality is implemented using loadable modules and
plugins. Color management in the Gimp is one such example.
In the Gimp 2.4.x (on Mandriva), there is a module
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/modules/libcdisplay_lcms.so
In the Gimp 2.6.x (on Fedora), it is called
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/modules/libdisplay_lcms.so

ldd on either will show the lcms library used again. BTW, you can find a list
of all modules loaded under Xtns -> Module Manager (Gimp 2.4) or Edit ->
Modules (Gimp 2.6).

I still have my bets on the quirk in eog that it will only activate color
management in case the image has got a color profile embedded. I can't read
from your mails if you tried it that way.

Regards,

Geert
--
Kobalt W.I.T.