[argyllcms] Re: Emulate camera JPEG via ICC profile

  • From: Knut Inge <knutinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:24:37 +0200

Am I right that you essentially want to "reverse-engineer" the in-camera
JPEG development? So that you can develop raw files from camera and come as
close as possible to the corresponding JPEGs that the camera itself makes?

If that is the case, I think it is a difficult problem.Think about the
number of (nonlinear) parameters found in something like dcraw. Then think
about the fundamental differences between capabilities and parameters
between different raw developers, such as Lightroom. Then imagine finding
the optimal set of parameters for making the output of dcraw look as
similar as possible to the output of Lightroom for any single image. Then
imagine the behaviour for all images.

I still think that such an application would be interesting. Any time I see
a comparision of two digital cameras, I wonder if the examples and the
reviewers opinion is about the camera sensor, or mostly the in-camera (or
even 3rd-party) development choices. It would be very interesting to see
how close e.g. the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5Dmk3 would look in terms of
color if e.g. dcraw was used to make them look similar.

-k