[argyllcms] Re: Culling outliers from .ti3 input data before camera profiling

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:20:57 -0700

On 2012-07-10, at 2:41 PM, Kamil Tresnak wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hint: your local home improvement store should be able to custom match all the (classic) ColorChecker colors. And that'll be a spectral match, too -- the resulting paint will have the same SPD curve as the ColorChecker patches.

Really? Have you measured?

Yes, I have.

But even if "yes", spectral match is IMO not sufficient, surface
properties are important too.

True, but matte home interior paint has a similar surface to what you get with the classic ColorChecker. Indeed, I strongly suspect that Gretag-McBe...er, X-Rite just uses some sort of standard paint. The pigments they're using certainly aren't anything exotic.

That writ...if you're worried about the surface texture, then you're probably shooting in an environment prone to flare and stray reflections. If that's the case, no profile is going to work well. Camera profiling only works well in controlled settings, and even then you need to make a new profile any time you change the setup. I'll attach a snapshot of my studio set up for copy work. In it you can also see the chart I made...I'll include a copy of that, too. The outer set of patches and most of the central gray patches were printed on an iPF8100. The ColorChecker to the left is Home Depot paints; the couple dozen patches to the right are half-and-half Golden Fluid Acrylics and more Home Depot paints (pure pigments). There are wood chips above and below the neutral patches. The upper left neutral patch is a light trap; the lower right includes both Tyvek and Teflon.

I've already got plans for the next version, but this is certainly ``good enough'' for the time being.

Your idea with custom colours in chart
is interesting, but we have experimented with some custom charts, and
we have big problems particulary with black patch, which give us very
weak black in resulting profile - far worse than we expect according
to measurement. So, i think, making our own - quality - chart is not
as easy.

Easy? No. But you can certainly do it on the cheap, if you're willing to invest a bit of sweat equity.

Cheers,

b&