[argyllcms] Could someone help me understand something applying printer profiles.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:44:30 -0600

I posted something to the Gimp-user list saying the following about
printing images using a printer profile which has been edited using gimp
2.4, which does not yet provide that capability.

> But in principle, it is not to difficult to do it in an ad hoc manner.
> All you have to do is modify the image using the print profile to do
so
> and then print the result.

I then went on to explain how I did it using cctiff or the lcms program
tifficc.

I got the following response, which I don't understand.

"That is a bad idea, due to the fact that you are then doing the color
conversion in 8bit per channel. You are throwing away information here.
Why don't you just use Photoprint and specify the Printer profile
there?"

Gimp converts any 16 bits per channel images it reads to 8 bits per
channel and it outputs 8 bits per channel files. Is the suggestion that
there is an advantage to doing higher precision conversion and
photoprint does something that cctiff of tifficc don't do?

By the way, the reason I prefer not to use photoprint is that the
interface is very confusing and the documentation is not much clearer.
I am not sure I really know how to apply a printer profile using it.
But what would photoprint do with an 8 bit per channel image that
cctiff, for example, wouldn't do.
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University