[argyllcms] Re: Camera profile and non-neutral white patch

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:07:44 +1000

Stephen T wrote:
> I think one of the main benefits of shooting RAW is that we can white balance
> the RAW data. With
> a neutral profile, I think the white-balanced RAW output should be neutral.

Strictly speaking you can't assume that raw is linear (because it's a device
space),
and operations such as white balance should be performed after the device space
has
been converted to a known linear space. In practice it is often assumed that
raw is linear, or that in fact the camera has applied a calibration curve
to the raw values to make them linear.