[argyllcms] Camera Profiling Ideas [Was: Re: Re: A few questions + an idea for spyd2.c (this time even more useless than before!)]

  • From: Andrew Mihal <andrewcmihal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:43:35 -0700

Hi,
    On the topic of alternatives to reflective charts for profiling
cameras, how about taking a photograph of the solar spectrum through a
spectroscope? You can use the positions of the absorption lines to
register your image against the well-known solar spectrum and then
compare your image data against the expected intensity of each color.

I think the image at the end of this page would be characteristic of
what you'd get:
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~hodapp/solar-spectroscope-1.html

Does this image look like it would provide valuable data? Can you hack
together a spectroscope of sufficient quality with some razor blades
and a diffraction grating, without the machine shop?

Andrew