[argyllcms] Re: Calibration Curves and XVideo Extensions

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:36:05 -0800

Sorry to break the thread but I just got my subscription working.

This issue was talked about on the xorg email list several months ago.  During
that thread I looked into this a little and it turns out that because XV is
using an overlay it totally by passes the video LUT.  It uses it's own set of
hard coded matrix conversions to handle "color correction".  So the way this
is currently coded you will not be able to use XV and have it respect your
calibrated LUTs.  I currently use OpenGL when playing videos if I can but
like you I would rather have a solution that made better use of my hardware.

However the developers responsible for XV did say that they would be open to
working with someone who could help then do this a better way.  So if anyone
here is able to provide patches or to assist the XV developers with this
issue it it might be possible to get this corrected at some point.

Hal