[argyllcms] Re: CMY target generation

  • From: Greg Mikol <gmikol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:18:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Graeme Gill wrote:
>
> generally CMY is not a standard rendering device colorspace, the usual
> set being Grey, RGB & CMYK, so currently printtarg uses Device N
> colorspace for PS, EPS and Tiff files. This will be why PhotoShop
> doesn't handle it. I'm guessing that IrfanView is treating CMY as if it
> were RGB, hence the inversion. Generally this is all a bit device
> dependent - ie., if you have a CMY device you want to profile, then
> there is no standard way of sending it colors that I know of.
>
> The best I can do is to modify printtarg in the next release to output
> CMY charts in CMYK by default, with a new option (-o) to select inverted
> RGB or Device N as alternatives.

First off, I can say that GhostScript can render a CMY .ps file in that way
(i.e. as a CMYK TIFF without any black channel data), and that both PhotoShop
and Gimp (and gutenprint) handle the file correctly then.

I can see how adding a switch to printtarg might be helpful, it would
certainly be *my* preference, but I'm not sure how others might feel
about that. This is likely to be only a 1-off or 2-off type need for me, and
I've worked out a solution. Whether this is a use case that's likely to come up
often enough that adding a switch into printtarg makes sense, I'll leave up to
you. (Or at lease for others in the user base to chime in.)

I most just wanted to make sure this wasn't an actual bug.

>> If I generate the output as a .ps or .eps, I can get PS CS5 to import
>> it, but the fonts are corrupted
>
> I'm not sure why PhotoShops PS renderer doesn't have the 13 standard
> built in PostScript fronts.

That...you'd have to ask Adobe about. Would sending you a screenshot or
something like that help?

Thanks--

Greg