[argyllcms] Re: B2A mapping of out-of-gamut colors

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:08:10 +0100

Thomas Baumann wrote:
Hello list,

when I print a Lab test target through any of my Argyll generated printer profiles there is a peculiarity, most pronounced with relative colorimetric intent: Dark out-of-gamut colors with high b values turn into a light yellow - see file Screenshot_Softproof_Argyll.tif.

Example (B2A1, L = 9, a = 0, b = 80):

So the problem seems to lie in the gamut mapping [...] from a very dark to a very light yellow.

The problem is that Lab 9/0/80 is not a "very dark yellow" but no color
at all. When you take a look at e.g.
<http://brucelindbloom.com/LabGamutDisplay.html>, you will find that
9/0/80 is far beyond the gamut of the human vision.

I don't know exactly how argyll deals with "virtual" colors like this
(I'm sure Graeme can explain it in detail), but a yellow with a much
higher L value seems to be a reasonable substitution for this "un-color".

Klaus