[argyllcms] Re: Argyll/Spyder2 Help needed

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:18:34 +1100

Hendrik Helwich wrote:
> i am new to color management coding and bought me a Spyder 2 which i got
> easily working with argyll on Ubuntu 10.04 which is very cool :-)
>
> I want to measure the spectral impact of some color filters i have
> (anaglyph glasses).

Hi,
        I doubt the Spyder is the right tool for spectral characterisation.
The Spyder is a colorimeter, not a spectrometer, and it's a colorimeter that's
tuned for particular displays, rather than being general purpose.

> My idea is to display a set of RGB colors on my LCD monitor and measure
> them with the spyder (e.g. in XYZ color space). Afterwards i want to
> measure the same RGB colors again but with a color filter between the
> LCD and the spyder. All the collected informations should be stored in
> some kind of text file.

It's doable, and may be useful if the intent is to use the glasses on
that particular display. It's less useful if you want to predict
the effect of the glasses in some other situation.

> Now i could develop an application which reads the data and estimates an
> approximation function for the color filter.

Do you have a copy of this article ?
<http://www.imaging.org/IST/store/epub.cfm?abstrid=43659>

> Is it possible to give argyll a set of RGB values which should be
> displayed and measured (e.g. in XYZ color space) and store the measured
> values to a file?

You can do this manually using a combination of dispwin and spotread
easily enough.  See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html>
and <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/spotread.html>.

> If this is not possible, could you please give me a hint how to access
> the spyder2 with an own application based on the argyll spyder2 code? It
> would be sufficient for me to trigger the spyder to measure a color an
> return the result.

Look at the spectro/inst.h for the instrument API (but please
note the GNU license if you are building it into some other application).