[argyllcms] Re: AW: Re: How bad is a wide color gamout measurement with a Spyder 2?

  • From: Christian Mayer <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:07:00 +0100

Am 20.12.2010 09:55, schrieb Jens Heermann:
> Hello List, Hello Christian,
>
> This is my first post to the list,

Wellcome to the list!

> When a laptop-distributor speaks of a "wide gamut display" this doesn’t
> necessarily equal what a color professional expects.

As I don't have measurements or an Dell supplied ICC I can't say how
wide the gamut is - but it's definitely wider than sRGB...

> But calibrating your screen will result in shrinking the usable gamut due to
> the "bending" of the native gamut with just 8bit in the graphics card to
> suit your calibration parameters, so you won't win anything with that.
> Niccolò broke it down quite good.. *G*

The question would be to what gamut the calibration should be done.
Calibrating a wide gamut display to sRGB would be wasted money with the
bad result you are describing - that wouldn't make sense.
It makes much more sense to try to set a white point (or use the natural
one...) and the gamma.

What I really wanted to do (my words were unprecise in my first mail) is
to profile the display, so that color management aware applications show
the correct colors.

> My recommendation: buy a small or used external high-end monitor which you
> can hardware calibrate, like an NEC SpectraView an Eizo ColorEdge or a Quato
> IntelliProof. Those monitors have a "really" wide gamut, the white point is
> not optimized to NTSC or something, but to suit professional proofing and
> you won't loose at least a third of the native gamut to the software
> calibration.

That's not an option - I didn't buy an laptop to carry an external
display with me... And if there displays have an even wider gamut it'll
be even worse with the Spyder 2.

> So, it's your decision.. if you want to work professional, then you should
> use professional equipment.

That's why I already bought an colorimeter - at a time that I had a
normal gamut display (and didn't know that the Spyder 2 wasn't able to
handle the new displays).
For a moment I don't even need to work like a Pro - getting rid of the
oversaturated colors during web surfing would already be a big help...
(And did I mention I'm just a hobbyist, far from professional?)

CU,
Chris