[argyllcms] Re: 1st post (Spyder 3 Express + Dell 2711)

  • From: Knut Inge <knutinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 14:34:54 +0100

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The stuff that goes into your card is indeed the VideoLUT, and these are
> usually contained within the ICC. However.....
>
> An ICC profile is only fully valid for one set of display settings, and
> these settings are not contained within the ICC, and so the ICC is far from
> an absolute description, video LUT or not.

Aha. This is good. So actually the ICC contains everything of relevance
except the settings inside the display? So if I specify that my measurements
are done with "out-of-the-box" Dell settings, just like flatpanelshd did,
and (hopefully) every other source on my list did, the ICCs are going to be
comparable? So what is missing from my comparision is that I need to find
the VideoLUT in the ICC (there were some fields that the application you
recommended could not make much sense of).

I attached an image showing the x/y CIE placement of primaries and
whitepoint in my earlier table. Everything assembled from google resources
so beware...

 I suggest you do a profile only of the factory sRGB and see what white
> point that gives, although it's still not really a definitive test.

I have an older regular-gamut Dell 20" side-by-side that I have calibrated
using DispCalGui using the same parameters. Ideally, they should be a close
match when viewing the same image in Lightroom (color-aware), except very
saturated colors that the older Dell cannot reproduce, right? Actually, the
color match is not entirely bad, but the 27" get a more "purple" deep red,
while the older is more "orange". This can be seen on skin-tones as well.

Will do the sRGB later tonight. A bit tedious... :-) If only I could
document that my Spyder was flawed, it is still under warranty.

-k