[arachne] Re: how much work will users do?

  • From: Bastiaan Edelman <bastiaan.pa3ffz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:52:29 +0100

Udo Kuhnt schreef:

So Glenn and I are having a raging debate about how much manual
editing users will put up with. I'm inclined to think that something
like editing an lsppp.cfg file is something that the average
Arachne user will not have any great objection to doing, if there
are clear instructions. However, I constantly over estimate
what folks can or will do. Glenns view:

My view is that a wizard that loads lsppp.cfg and talks you through
the edit is good enough. Yes, you'd have to add your com port and
phone number and password etc. by hand. Too much work??

I think Glenn is right. You cannot compare hard core DOS users to
newbies you are used to Windows. IMO, Arachne needs *more* help from
setup wizards, not less. The wizards work fine for people who already
have their packet driver up-and-running, but there are many reports of
users who have problems, including people who have worked with Arachne
before, and that clearly shows that they need more help. I am afraid
that the number of those who do not ask for help on the list but simply
give up is far greater.

Udo

I very agree to Udo from my own experience... if I download new software, lets say from the internet or from a freind, how long do I try to get it working?

30 minutes? One hour?
Very often I give up before, since much software does have severe bugs and I never get it working :-(

Second reason: why do all the trouble for a task that can be fulfilled by an allready working program? I am allready connected to the internet, I can view images, I can play music and video...

There is one exeption to the rule: ARACHNE... but do other people want to struggle with their software or ask help from the Arachne list? I think most of them just quit if she is not working at a first try :-(

Regards, Bastiaan
-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de

-- This mail was written by a user of The Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --