[arachne] XHTML and Enhanced CSS suipport

  • From: "John Sparks" <johncsparks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:01:24 -0000

Anyone like to comment on the following, before it is added to the
2DoList?

Hi John,

I noticed that www.freedos.org now looks rather strange in Arachne
1.79.
According to Jim Hall, that is because he changed the website to use
XHTML+CSS, which Arachne apparently does not support. I must admit
that
I have not been aware of the lack of support for these features
before,
particularly because unlike Javascript, lack of CSS support will not
result in the webpage being non-functional; it will just make it look
somewhat cruder. Also, I thought that CSS is something that Arachne
already supports, since there is this "Enable stylesheets (css/1.0)"
option.

Jim also pointed me to http://www.csszengarden.com/ , which is site
that
shall demonstrate the effects of CSS. Selecting a CSS file apparently
does not change anything for Arachne, though.

Now that I have been alerted of this problem, I noticed that many
other
websites seem to implement these features, too, so I think it should
be
added to the 2DoList. I do not know how hard it would be, but I
suppose
it would be a lot of work to incorporate this enhancement. It is
probably a low priority task, though.

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project -
http://www.drdosprojects.de

-- This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser -
http://arachne.cz/

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --