[arachne] Testing v1.93....

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:46:00

On 26 Mar 08 at 15:59, glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Reply to Sender: mailto:glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx
>Reply to List: mailto:arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>v1.93 update ready to go.....
>
>http://cisnet.com/glennmcc/a193gpl/
>(full distro etc..)
>

>http://cisnet.com/glennmcc/a193gpl/a193upd.zip
>(updated files only)

Hi Glenn, Ray and all,

last night I decided to upgrade from Arachne 1.89n (this was
the version, when the mysterious mail transport bug suddenly
disappeared).

Thanks a lot to all of the development team for the
great work during the last two years. Having joined the
testers of the current version, I will try to give
some comments or suggestions for you.

I still have not intalled all of the new files, and it will
definitely take some days or weeks, until I update all the
changes in my mime.cfg. While testing I use a lot of
customizations from past versions, and probably some bug reports
are only due to my messed up installation (eg. the first first bug
I wanted to report to you, has just evaporized).

During the last years the East European web sites have changed
a lot. Today more than half of the (not merely technical) sites
have UTF-8-encoding. Implementing this feature into Arachne, which
should be comparatively easy, seems to me more urgent now than even
CSS and Javascript support. Unfortunately the 'real programmers'
of the dvelopment team seem to be "7bit-people" nowadays. I am not
a programmer, but could perhaps provide a simple filter plug-in,
that would be able to parse a given HTML page:

    1. check, whether the head of HTML page contains:
       "charset=utf-8"

    2. if no, do nothing; if yes, hand the page over to Christof
       together with the target 8bit encoding (this variable can
       be even taken from arachne.cfg)

    3. my plugin (stdin-stdout c program) returns the converted page
       that can be processed by Arachne's HTML engine and displayed
       with the current 8bit font.

Will there be a socket for such a plug-in?

Regards,
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha  3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov