[arachne] Re: Beware of "freezes and creahes" [sic.]

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:28:11 +0930

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:31:52 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 18:01 -0500, Glenn McCorkle wrote:
>> To stop that stuff from happening in the first place.....
>> install the 'GreaseMonkey Extension for firefox'

>> http://techtoggle.com/2009/02/how-to-block-ads-in-firefox/

> Thanks for the recommendation Glenn.

> I just now downloaded it and installed it.

Hmmm... maybe I'm getting a bit slow in my old age but I couldn't make
their directions work.

I switched to the Win computer, opened FireFox, clicked on that link and
got the following instructions:

    * Hope you have Mozilla Firefox installed. If not then download it
      from here. *Download Firfox*

Yup, it certainly is installed.

    * Install GreaseMonkey Extension for firefox from here. *Download GM*

When I clicked on the download link, after a short delay the file
"GM.xpi" appeared in my Download folder. When I clicked on it, I was
asked what I wanted to do with the file; I selected to open it, and
accepted FireFox as the default application. Grease Monkey is now
installed.

    * Restart Firfox.

Did that.

    * Now its time to install the adblock script provided by adsweep.
      Just Drag and GM will ask you to install it. *Download Script Here.*

What do they mean "Just Drag"? Clicking on that link gave me AdSweep.zip
in my download folder. There was nothing asking me to install it.

Working from within FireFox, I select the File menu, then Open file...,
and clicked on AdSweep.zip in the download folder. AdSweep.js appears in
a subfolder. When I click on it, I get the message asking me what to do
with it. Selecting to open it reveals AdSweep.js. Clicking on that file
gave me a warning not to install stuff I wasn't sure about, etc. I
elected to go with it anyway.

But that gives an error message from Windows Scripting Host:
 Script: C:\.....\AdSweep.js
 Line:   15
 Char:   2
 Error: 'location' is undefined
 Code:   800A1391
 Source: Microsoft JScript runtime error.

So what now???????

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E