[arachne] Re: Adobe swings and misses as PDF abuse worsens | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 09:05:33 -0500

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 23:16 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

> Well ....
>
> Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
> >>
> >> Suddenly the "safe" small footprint way to transmit documents is no
> >> longer safe. Is anyone really surprised that PDF finally became a target
> >> for abuse?
> >>

> > <big snip for brevity>
> >

> > Seems to be an easily solvable problem.
> >
> > The problem is solved simply by switching to an open source pdf viewer,
> > as recommended in some of the replies to the above blog posts.
> >
> > Sam Heywood
> >
> ... not exactly.  You see, Sam, PDF is *not* just forms these days.
> It's not just forms with full colors and pictures.  It's not even just
> forms you can fill out on your computer and then print ... now it's
> color, and fill out the forms and save them in filled out format, and I
> think I recently saw something about embedded Flash???
>
> No longer just a way to send a text file with a few lines and a couple
> of different fonts, maybe some b&w artwork ... now it's a whoooooooooole
> bunch more than that.
>
> And those alternative readers don't do all those other things.
>
> l.d.

In order to do all those other things you might have to use Windows,
even a much bigger and much more bloated version of Windows than the one
you might already feel forced into using in order to do some of the
things you need to do with your computer.  The older versions of Windows
will not run the latest and greatest Acrobat Readers.  In order to
install a newer version of Windows you might even need to buy a new
computer, one with more speed and with more ram, and one that is
incapable of working with your perfectly good printer and your other
perfectly good peripheral devices.  Micro$oft is out to force you to
upgrade everything you have, even if the stuff you already have still
works fine.  It just doesn't work with any of the new way overly bloated
software and operating systems.  Considering all the extra expenses, it
just isn't worth it to do all those other things.

Sam Heywood