[arachne] Re: 32 bit dos info wanted

  • From: Jason and Ornumar Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:05:26 -0500

Udo Kuhnt wrote:

Hello Brian,

Thanks to Udo for his comments in response to my enquiry about a viable
32 bit DOS that would run both old and new DOS software without
complaint, and would address more than 8 mb of hard drive (not RAM, as I
erroneously said via a slip of the finger and brain).

Udo said that FreeDos 1.0 can address more than 8 mb of hard drive, but
the freedos people said it could not address more than 8 mb of hard
drive.

I do not know why the FreeDOS people say so; AFAIK FreeDOS has been
able to address more than 8 GB of hard disk space for several years now.

I installed freedos 1.0 on this laptop. It's got a 20gb hd. dir shows "18,643 Mega bytes free" Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --