[apt4ssx8] update to my Google site

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 00:54:55 -0400

Gentle persons:

Nothing earth shattering.

I created a subtopic on APT vocabularies under APT Resources and uploaded three text files to it. They contain the sorted lists of unique vocabulary (aka reserved) words I extracted from the three sources identified there along with a few summary statistics. I don't know why the sidebar directory doesn't automatically show this subtopic when you land on the home page but you know how to use the clicky thing. Maybe I'll get around to organizing my work better, but don't hold your breath.

I also added a reference to a Summary of FORTRAN that is quite good for those who feel the need for a little insight on such topics as COMMON and EQUIVALENCE and don't want to read IBM manuals. Caveat: this summary covers many versions of FORTRAN so one has to be careful to read what's relevant for FORTRAN IV/66* in the case of the APT360 source code.

As to the APT360 source code, I found a backdoor in it that allows for tricky use of the IBM System/360 Linkage Editor to preload variables using NAMELIST statements "in the FORTRAN Library" (this phrase came from a comment in the code). Normally this backdoor is shut. Obviously Brent's port of the code to C works without it being open, which is a good thing because this feature isn't documented well, er, at all. The issue here isn't the use of NAMELIST, which is a well-known IBM FORTRAN IV feature. The issue is that we have no idea what variables might have been predefined and stored away "in the FORTRAN Library" and at what stage in the proceedings the backdoor would be opened.

Regards,
Kent
https://sites.google.com/site/manisbutareed

*I write this as if the two are exactly the same which of course they are not. When in doubt, go with the IBM FORTRAN IV documentation.