[apt4ssx8] Re: online APT360 experiment

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:54:31 -0400

On 6/16/2012 1:59 PM, Dan Falck wrote:
Hi guys,

With Brent's help, I set up an experimental APT360 server for folks to
play with here:

http://opensourcedesigntools.blogspot.com/2012/06/apt360-websockets-demonstration-apt360.html

I thought this might make it a little easier for folks who want to
play with APT360, but don't want to install it locally.

Dan (and Brent) - I didn't forget about this message, I just got distracted.

I think every effort to make APT accessible is a good effort. Thanks.

Since the first thing I did was make sure I could compile and execute the APT360 code locally, this webservice is more interesting to me because of the "glue" you used.

Long, long ago, a NIST colleague, Don Libes, created the Expect toolkit to automate interactions between command-line programs and external communications. In the 1990s, he used it to put up a web-server for his fedex tool (a parser-verifier for the EXPRESS language used in specifying STEP information models) akin to your webserver and for the same reasons. As well, it simplified promulgating changes in fedex. If your information model checked against the webserver you knew you were up to date. I thought of him when I read your message.

It's a novelty to be able to play with APT code and get output while
I'm on the train, commuting to work.

Well, I keep seeing references to the train. I always loaded up a small Linux-based laptop before making treks up the coast to meetings in Philly, NYC, or Boston on Amtrak, but that's 10 years in the past when mobile communication was still a novelty and usually unreliable.

I'm not sure what I'd do now. On the one hand, I'd like the portability of a smart phone or tablet. On the other hand, my eyes would prefer bigger screens and my fingers comfortable keyboards for any kind of code work:-)

Have fun!

Dan

Regards,
Kent