[apt4ssx8] Re: Compiling apt360 with g77

  • From: Brent Muller <bmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:25:52 -0600

On 6/27/2012 8:05 AM, Dave Caroline wrote:
Someone mentioned compiling the vax version with g77,
but I dont have that, so I cloned the orig_source directory
found a generic makefile hacked it a bit and started with the apt360

Im working in the public directory
http://www.archivist.info/apt/aptos/apt360/orig_source/g77/

So expect breakage, comments and patches welcome

A couple of points come to mind as one works through
g77 hates characters and strings in reals etc, a good thing as it
forces sensible updating
it may make f2c code more readable once done

Im not sure if all the code should move to ascii but very likely should

Its another way of teaching self whats in the crusty old code!

Dave Caroline
If everyone would be interested in compiling apt360 totally in Fortran, I think that would be great. It was only by accident that it ended up in f2c C code.

I was thinking that it might be nice to have it in Fortran, but I didn't know if that was where I would want to spend my time. The benefit/trade-off ratio would need to be looked at, but it would be nice.

There are two things that come to mind when porting: one, what would be the affect of running code made for big-endian machines on intel? I overcame this problem in the C code with macros everywhere this was a problem. Two, how do we call C code in the ASM file conversion from Fortran? This can be done, I just don't know the process. Fortran has a different calling convention, and I have never done this before. F2c might have some insights in this regard.

Also, I made a template makefile for the ssx8 code using Gnu autotools. I don't know if this is what everyone would want, but it would be easy to adapt to a Fortran version of apt360.

Brent.