[aodvv2-discuss] Re: [manet] AODVv2 security considerations

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:10:41 -0700

Hello Stan,

To be slightly more accurate, what I had discussed with Adrian
was that in certain scenarios, security would be less important than
basic communication ability.  That observation was distilled into a
modification to the Applicability statement as discussed earlier
on this internal mailing list.

Ian wrote the bulk of the Security Considerations, and at the time
he did it I think it was generally well accepted.  Back in the days
of mutually constructive criticism and all that sort of stuff.  So I
think it's probably O.K. enough, but we do need to respond to
Chris's recent constructive suggestions.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 3/11/2015 8:27 AM, Stan Ratliff wrote:
Chris,

Thanks again for the input. I've discussed this a bit with the co-editors, and we have a question for the ADs.

Adrian/Alia,

My understanding is that there had been discussions earlier with Adrian regarding the security implications verbiage; the outcome from those discussions (at least from the editorial team perspective) was that AODVv2 was in pretty good shape. Chris brings up points from the perspective of having "been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt, but got a bruise or two"... ;-) So, I'm confused and concerned.

Looking to you (our ADs) for some guidance on this issue, please.

Regards,
Stan

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) <chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Another just one section set of comments.

    First, I will note that what I’m saying is informed by our
    experiences in getting RFC 7181 (OLSRv2) standardised. As people
    may or may not recall, the version of OLSRv2 that left the WG
    basically said you can do what is appropriate to your
    requirements. This did not fly with the IESG. I do not expect what
    is in the security considerations section here to fly with the
    IESG. Specifically, we had cleared our original version with the
    then security AD, but a change in ADs meant we no longer had
    agreement. And although ADs have changed again, not where it
    matters here.

    However we have done some of your work. Specifically RFC 7182
    contains formalised versions of what’s just outlined as a sketch
    in RFC 5444. However note that even RFC 7182 (updating RFC 6622)
    was not enough, and we needed also to write RFC 7183. (We did this
    as a separate draft as that was less disruptive.) And, not obvious
    from those three drafts, we had to fight hard to get even those
    three as sufficient. Specifically, we needed a carefully reasoned
    explanation why we didn’t need to mandate a key distribution
    mechanism. And don’t assume that fight is won, it’s been demanded
    again since (in another context).

    To summarise RFC 7183, we have a mandatory to implement mechanism
    (one of the RFC 7182 options) but not a mandatory to use
    mechanism, together with a  SHOULD for security of some sort.

    So that’s me saying I don’t think what you’ve got will pass the
    IESG, unless they have a major change in policy. I think you could
    get to something they’ll accept, with work, by capturing the
    essence of RFC 7183 (adopted of course for your circumstances).

    Now I’ll look at Section 15 in more detail. First I think there is
    quite a lot that is a “you SHOULD do this” without enough detail
    that two people could implement something that interworks. For
    example, but not only, “SHOULD also verify the integrity and
    identity”.  How? (The identity part is particularly tricky. RFC
    7182 is not identity based. The draft that has an identity based
    signature is trapped in the IESG – they are really not a
    pushover.) The part that says you should repeat back the erroneous
    information. How – at the implementation level? The comment that
    S/MIME and OpenPGP could be adopted, that’s so vague as to be all
    but useless.

    You suggest the use of IPsec. That’s probably OK hop by hop (I’m
    not an IPsec expert to know for certain). But if you want end to
    end that doesn’t work as IP packets aren’t sent end to end, as RFC
    5444 packets are a one hop mechanism. If you want end to end its
    AODVv2 messages that need protecting, and IPsec won’t do that for
    you. There’s a ghost of problems overcome elsewhere with the
    reference to “AODVv2 control packets”. No such thing.

    You incidentally reference an ICV as RFC 6621. I think you mean
    RFC 6622, or now RFC 7182. I agree that the establishment of
    security associations is out of scope – but be prepared to have to
    argue that.

    In short, (a) I do not expect this to fly with the IESG, and it’s
    a lot better to fix now than later, (b) there’s too much vagueness
    in places I have noted and elsewhere to be able to create
    interoperable mechanisms, and (c) the IPsec approach does not
    work. (There’s a possible draft in IPsec for RFC 5444, but that’s
    not AODVv2 specific.)

    But the good news is that we have a model of what does work, RFC
    7183. Steal from that, with references to RFC 7182. The “mandatory
    to implement, but you may do something else” approach has worked
    in the past.

--
    Christopher Dearlove

    Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group
    BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
    Tel: +44 1245 242194 <tel:%2B44%201245%20242194> |  Fax: +44 1245
    242124 <tel:%2B44%201245%20242124>

    chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:chris.dearlove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> | http://www.baesystems.com

    BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
    Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace
    Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
    Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687