[aodvv2-discuss] ICV and RFC5444 processing

  • From: John Dowdell <john.dowdell486@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AODVv2 Discuss <aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:48:06 +0100

Hi all

Further to the last hangout, during which we discussed RFC7182/7183 being applied to AODVv2 messages. It struck me that while we can apply an Integrity Check Vector (ICV) to a AODVv2 message, the 5444 parser will set about compressing, rearranging and generally optimising the content. It therefore strikes me (following a similar discussion on DTN) that the 5444 parser at the far end must losslessly (and in the reverse order) undo all its optimisations for the ICV to correctly compute, otherwise an error will occur and the far end router may choose to reject the message, fearing corruption or a Man In The Middle attack.

I was thinking about writing to Chris D to ask about how OLSRv2 works around this, when it struck me that Henning would probably know and Lotte has him in the loop just now.

So Lotte, please would you ask Henning what his thoughts are on this please?

Thanks and Best Regards
John