[antispam-f] Whitelist import routines testers wanted

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:57:55 +0200

The next version of AntiSpam is to have a whitelist import function.
Thanks to Steve Pampling I've had an easy job creating routines to
extract email addresses from Organizer and Pluto. I've also managed to
create something that should work for Messenger (but see below...).

I want to be sure the routines are basically sound before I add them to
AntiSpam. There's a small tool on my site:

http://www.aconet.org/tools/asimport.zip

This works as expected on my machines, but I would like others to try it
as well.

Just copy the !Import application from the zip to anywhere on your hard
disc. If you run it, it will open a taskwindow (Task Obey) and display a
progress report. When it's done, if will Filer_Run a text file called
Output inside the !Import directory. This should hold all the email
addresses found and comments (lines starting with #) about what they are
and where they were extracted from.

Please check the contents of this file. DON'T send it to me! It's
private. All I need to know is whether it was filled correctly. Also, if
there's an error message in the taskwindow, I'd like to hear about it.

The tool will look for several files in a specific order. Some of them
are bound to be missing on your machine, so if it reports "File 'xxx'
not found" that doesn't necessarily mean there was an error. In general,
if it reaches the 'Done' line, there wasn't.

It will try to read:

 <Choices$Write>.Organizer.Orgdata
 <Choices$Write>.Pluto.addresses
 <Pluto$Dir>.Choices.addresses
 <NewsDir$Dir>.Messenger.AddrBook
 <NewsDir$Dir>.UserHome.<user>.AddrBook

Of course this requires the corresponding applications to be running (or
at least 'filer booted').

I'm not entirely sure about the last two. As a Pluto user I have very
little experience with Messenger. I used the Messenger Lite application
that came with my Iyonix to determine the location of the address book
(which comes in two parts: public and private), but I seem to remember
that with the commercial version it could be located elsewhere. If so,
I'd like as many details about that as possible.

If you have suggestions about adding other address books to the import
list (Marcel, anyone?), do let me know, preferably with full information
about the relevant address book files (i.e. their format and where they
can be found).
Other suggestions about the whitelist function are welcome as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Frank