[antidote] Re: Yet another change of heart: Powell OpposesInternet Phone Regulation

  • From: Karen Furbish <karen.furbish@xxxxxxx>
  • To: antidote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:36:50 -0500

Dan - I agree completely with your conclusions about the federal (and state)
universal service funds, propping up bloated or false ILEC costs, turning
them into ILEC profit centers. However, as you know, the Bells are currently
experiencing line losses due to wireless and broadband deployment.  And the
VOIP handwriting is on the wall, and now being touted by Bells as their next
"strategy." CAble modem is still eating their DSL lunch, not to mention
cablecos' plans to roll out cable IP.

The Bells are currently in discussions with IXCs, non-affiliated wireless
carriers, their own affiliates and some small ILECs to try to reach
agreement on a Bill and Keep system for switched access (and recip comp).
However, the Bell proposal to go to bill and keep for all traffic seeks to
be "revenue neutral" for themselves, and would result in a very high
Subscriber Line Charge for all customers, and increases in universal service
funding requirements to be paid by all carriers. The Bells claim their
"frank" reason for seeking B&K on access is because not only are they
experiencing line losses, but access charge revenues continue to fall as the
traditional voice LD industry is beset by wireless, e-mail, IM, etc., and
they need "revenue stabilization" to offset continuing losses, which are not
being made up on consumer voice LD customers they are capturing from the
IXCs as a result of their 271-related entree into interLATA LD markets.
While IXCs would certainly welcome the disappearance of switched access
charges, I think their goal has more to do with imposing those inflated
last-mile switched access costs on consumers and competitors  BECAUSE VOIP
will eventually be the norm, more than non-affiliated wireless and cablecos
(and notice I'm not mentioning CLECs) eroding their line counts.

Other carriers are participating in the discussions frankly because nobody
knows what the current FCC will do in the absence of an industry settlement.
However, IXCs are very unhappy that Bells require "revenue neutrality" for
themselves, for the very reasons you stated.

One thing is obvious to me:  VOIP is happening, and the Bells want to be in
on it but at everyone else's expense.
Karen Furbish
MCI