[antidote] Re: Yet another change of heart: Powell Opposes Internet Phone Regulation

  • From: "Robert Lee" <robertslee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <antidote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:38:53 -0500

Dan,

Very interesting.  I had no clue they paid 10% of revenues.  I feel like =
an
idiot.  That is an enormous amount. What do they get for that?  Do the
municipalities maintain the lines, etc?

If the Bells are going to supply video over the PSTN how will they wind =
up
supplying the content?  For example, will they be able to get ESPN?  Are
there exclusive deals with arms length partners of the cable companies =
or is
much of the content owned by cable companies and thus not available to =
the
PSTN?  Seems like that would become a very large lever to be plied.

Seems to me the cable companies have the better part of an unregulated
monopoly and so my question remains:  How can the "government" regulate =
one
and not the other, especially as the offerings converge?

Bob

Robert Lee