[antidote] Verizon strike update

  • From: "Daniel Berninger" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <antidote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 02:42:28 -0400

Thanks to Bruce Kushnick for forwarding.

Verizon Northeast Bargaining & Mobilization

Northeast Regional Bargaining - Report #16

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Tuesday, August 5, 2003 10:10 p.m.

In a transparent effort to manipulate the bargaining process, Verizon put
out a misleading press statement this afternoon that gave some reporters-and
many of our members-the false impression that we were closer to reaching a
settlement than is actually the case.

The company statement said, "We believe we have established a framework that
addresses all the major issues, including job security."

Unfortunately, little or no real progress was made today despite much hard
work by our negotiators, who have been trading proposals and responses with
the company for many hours. As of this evening, there was no resolution of
such critical issues as job security and health care, along with many other
issues still on the table.

If there's a "framework" in place, we still need to finish the plumbing, the
roof, the drywall, the doors and the windows.

Verizon has clearly launched a campaign to pressure us to settle without
achieving all of our contract goals. We have even received reports that
management is going to work locations and stating that CWA is holding up
negotiations because of problems reaching agreement on a contract for
Verizon Wireless cell site technicians. This is totally false. Verizon is
trying to split the membership from the negotiating team. We will not fall
for Verizon's attempt to divide and conquer.

As always, our strength is in a mobilized membership. Rallies took place
today in Oneonta, Utica and Northern Manhattan. These rallies energize the
participants and show that our membership is united behind our negotiators.
Job security was the focus at the lunchtime rally in front of a Verizon Call
Center in Washington Heights. Local politicians and community groups joined
80 spirited CWA members in a rally against the transfer of work, and TV,
radio and print media covered the event. Even the owner of the neighborhood
diner ran across the street to tell the crowd that CWA "hometown jobs" are
critical to his business and the local economy.

Negotiations are at a critical point. Over the next few days, we must
redouble our efforts to show the company that we are united and militant.

The antidote list discussion covers issues related to getting beyond monopoly
in telecom.  Unsubscribe by sending message with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject
field to antidote-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or via web at
http://www.intercommunication.org