[angelscript] AngelScript 2.28.0 is released

  • From: Andreas Jonsson <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: angelscript@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:57:21 -0200

With this version I've spent a lot of time to redesign how the
initialization lists work. Previously they could only be used for arrays,
but now the application can register a list factory, or list constructor
for value types, and declare a pattern that should be used by the compiler.
The compiler will also build a single buffer with all the value and pass a
pointer to that buffer to the factory or the constructor. This makes it
much more effective to copy the values into the object in comparison with
the previous use of the index operator.

The new initialization lists are a lot more versatile, and I've used this
to implement a list factory for the dictionary add-on that takes name-value
pairs, and also a list constructor for the complex math type to show how it
is done.

Hopefully this will make AngelScript much more useful as a data language,
i.e. where the scripts are used to setup data besides just for logic.

There is of course a lot more than can still be improved with regards to
the initialization lists, and I'll continue to work on this over the
upcoming releases. Some examples of future improvements are the ability to
use initialization lists in regular expressions, and more rules that can be
given to declare the expected list pattern.

The release brings several other minor improvements too, so please verify
the change list to get the details.

Regards,
Andreas Jönsson
Author of AngelScript