[AMHSO] suggestions

  • From: Carlos Gershenson <cgershen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amhso@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:59:50 +0100

Hi all,

I thought it would be good to start up the projects, that people who are
familiar with the topics would give brief expositions/summaries of the "state
of the
art" of the research, so those of us who are not very familiar with the
topics/problems/questions, get an idea of what we should discuss about
and which silly arguments we should avoid.

For example, I am not familiar with many of the specific topics of the
Evolution and Love project. I would be happy if someone who has read
some of the bibliography could summarize what people are arguing
about. Well, I have read The Selfish Gene (few comments at
http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/doc/selfishGene.html ), so I can
talk a bit about what all the fuzz surrounding it: problems in
evolution of cooperation, group selection/kin selection/etc...
I a bit familiar with memes, but not related to love...

I am also reading now C. S. Lewis' "The Four Loves", and even when it
is not scientific, I believe it could be useful to distinguish
different types of love (affection, friendship, eros, charity),
because I can see that each type could have a
different explanation. Mainly, some types can have an evolutionary
advantage, while others seem to be more cultural, and others probably
even just an unexpected consequence of other mechanisms...

Best regards,

    Carlos Gershenson...
    Centrum Leo Apostel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
    Krijgskundestraat 33. B-1160 Brussels, Belgium
    http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/

  "The only mistake you can make is to believe you cannot make mistakes"