[amc] something to think about

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:19:35 -0600

I pray you will have no difficulty remembering many occasions and
experiences for which to be thankful.

While I was working at the farm and contemplating the sermon for this next
Sunday, I had an enlightenment for which I need some clarification.  I was
reflecting on the reality that my suggestion that the 'Christian Witness for
Peace in Iraq' this past March in Washington might be followed by a campaign
to honor the courage of conscientious objectors and their vision for
rejecting war and choosing another way to manage and engage conflict.

Of all the invitations and proposals we sent to various groups about this
idea, I have received no response.  Perhaps honoring CO's is not a relevant
enterprise.  Yet I am still believing that organizing some event that would
not only expose this alternative to war but also inform the national
community that conscientiously opposing war is indeed a courageous and
significant service to our community, this effort will be a timely and
important action for someone to undertake.

Then it occurred to me there may be enough interest here in our local faith
community for working to plan this kind of event.  I have made a rough draft
of things that might be included and a timetable for making it happen here
in Austin next summer, possibly on July 3 and 4.  I will have a signup sheet
on the table this next Sunday for those of you who will offer to talk with
me about this project--things to consider and concerns associated with
taking this on.  Please reflect on this proposal and share your impressions
with me.