[amc] Wm Penn

  • From: "Bob" <rkoehn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:12:32 -0600

American Minute with Bill Fededrer

March 10

26-year-old William Penn received from King Charles II the charter to
Pennsylvania on MARCH 10, 1681, as repayment of a debt owed to his
deceased father Admiral Sir William Penn, who captured Jamaica and
defeated the Dutch navy.

A student at Oxford, William Penn was expelled for having his own
prayer services in his dorm room instead of attending the Anglican
chapel.

Penn converted to Quakerism and was imprisoned in the Tower of
London.

His colony was a "holy experiment" for persecuted Europeans, one of
the few original colonies to accept Mennonites, Amish, Catholics and
Jews.

Emphasizing his plan of Christian tolerance, William Penn named the
city "Philadelphia," Greek for "Brotherly Love."

History records that since William Penn insisted on treating the
Delaware Indians honestly, paying a fair sum for the land, his city
of Philadelphia was spared the Indian attacks and scalpings that
other colonial settlements experienced.

Before arriving, William Penn wrote to the Delaware chiefs:

"My Friends, There is one...God...and He hath made...the king of the
country where I live, give...unto me a great province therein,

but I desire to enjoy it with your...consent, that we may always live
together as...friends."