[amc] Re: Update on Young N.O. couple--opportunity to help.

  • From: Ron Diener <rondiener@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 07:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

I spoke with Jeff yesterday evening, and the frequent flyer miles are not
needed. Melissa is relieved that her niece's situation in Florida has
stabilized nicely. She is enrolled in a good school, and moving her to Austin
would probably be counter-productive. Several of you have made generous offers,
and they were touched by your concern.

Since I am going out of town this evening, I think the best thing is for folks
to contact Jeff and Melissa direct to see what they still need, and to arrange
for a pick-up, or if you want to deliver. Thay have a car, and access to an
SUV, so they would be happy to come pick up stuff. The best time to call is
mornings before 9:30 or after 3 in the afternoon--both of them have temporary
jobs already.

So here's the general state of things as of Thursday morning:
They are moved into a small apartment. Melissa starts a job at a pre-school
next week. Jeff is temporarily making deliveries for a catering company from
10-2 every day. Their phone is connected (912-9009), though the voicemail is
still assigned to the previous person, so don't use the voicemail yet.
Melissa's parents (also evacuees) will be arriving today from La. and will be
staying with them for awhile. The parents have an SUV (Melissa's father worked
at a car dealership, and this is a demo car that they used to evacuate with).

Here's what they have:
2 stuffed chairs, a tiny TV, some towels, some dishware, some blankets. They
already had an air mattress.

Here's what has been committed from folks, but not yet delivered:
A table and 4 chairs, some linens and cooking utensils, and possibly a chest of
drawers. Also, 2 gift cards to Target (credit Holly with this idea--it's easy
to just mail these to them).

Here is their contact info:
Melissa LeMay and Jeff Stallings
1824 S. IH 35    Apt 333
Austin TX   78704

Phone: 912-9009

If you want further info today, you can call me at work at my desk at 388-8611
or my cell phone at 626-5839.

Ron

Ron Diener <rondiener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Melissa and Jeff Stallings are friends of our son Andrew, and were flooded out
of their home. Their parents and extended families were also flooded and are
staying in shelters in Florida and Louisiana. Jeff and Melissa headed to Austin
where they stayed with Andrew for a few nights. They have decided to settle in
Austin for the foreseeable future. Amazingly, Melissa has already lined up a
job at a pre-school in NW Austin, and they have found an apartment into which
they are moving today. They also have food-stamps arranged through the Red
Cross.

However, they came to Austin with only a car (which belongs to Melissa's
father), an air mattress, and the clothes on their backs. So they need a few
things to set up house. We have contributed a few things--blankets, dishes,
towels, silverware, etc---but here's a list of other items that would help:
Cooking utensils.
More towels, linens, etc.
Table and a couple chairs.
Lamps
Couch, etc

If anyone has stuff to contribute, please leave a message at 990-2480, or reply
to this e-mail. I will make a sweep to pick up and deliver what's available by
tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. We will be out of town from Thursday through the
weekend, but if some of you have stuff to contribute after Thursday, I'll give
a contact number before we leave town.

In addition, Melissa is concerned about her 14-year old niece who is in a
crowded shelter in Florida. She would like to be able to fly her to Austin to
stay with them here. If anyone has frequent flyer miles that they would like to
contribute, I'm sure that would be very much appreciated. She is without either
parent and Melissa is concerned about her emotional well-being.

Ron

http://mail.yahoo.com