[amc] Re: Upcoming Sunday adult discussion on Koran/Islam

  • From: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Werner S <wjs3108@xxxxxxxxx>, Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 07:52:40 -0600

For a podcast by Tariq Ramadan on western Muslims, try:

http://religionmatters.missouri.edu/archive.html (click on third entry from
top)

There's a 55-minute version and a 69-minute version.

Steve

On 1/6/08 2:51 PM, "Werner S" <wjs3108@xxxxxxxxx> held forth:

> As Garland announced Sunday morning,  we shall have a
> speaker at the adult discussion group on the Koran in
> early February.  The following may be of interest:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/books/review/Ramadan-t.html?_r=1&ref=books&o
> ref=slogin
>
> January 6, 2008
>
> ESSAY
>
> Reading the Koran
>
> By TARIQ RAMADAN
>
> For Muslims the Koran stands as the Text of reference,
> the source and the essence of the message transmitted
> to humanity by the creator. It is the last of a
> lengthy series of revelations addressed to humans down
> through history. It is the Word of God ? but it is not
> God. The Koran makes known, reveals and guides: it is
> a light that responds to the quest for meaning. The
> Koran is remembrance of all previous messages, those
> of Noah and Abraham, of Moses and Jesus. Like them, it
> reminds and instructs our consciousness: life has
> meaning, facts are signs.
>
> It is the Book of all Muslims the world over. But
> paradoxically, it is not the first book someone
> seeking to know Islam should read. (A life of the
> Prophet or any book presenting Islam would be a better
> introduction.) For it is both extremely simple and
> deeply complex. The nature of the spiritual, human,
> historical and social teachings to be drawn from it
> can be understood at different levels. The Text is
> one, but its readings are multiple.
>
> For the woman or the man whose heart has made the
> message of Islam its own, the Koran speaks in a
> singular way. It is both the Voice and the Path. God
> speaks to one¹s innermost being, to his consciousness,
> to his heart, and guides him onto the path that leads
> to knowledge of him, to the meeting with him: ³This is
> the Book, about it there can be no doubt; it is a Path
> for those who are aware of God.² More than a mere
> text, it is a traveling companion to be chanted, to be
> sung or to be heard.
>
> (rest at above URL)
>
> Much of the New York Times Sunday Book Review for
> January 6 is devoted to books about Islam and the
> Koran.  The reviews and discussions can be found at:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Friesen
Louise Farmer Boyer Chair in Biblical Studies
Dept. of Classics, 1 Univ. Sta. C3400
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712

W: (512) 471-8629
F: (512) 471-4111
H: (512) 482-0822

https://webspace.utexas.edu/~sjf365/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gallup Poll shows:

58% of Republicans report having excellent mental health.
43% of independents report having excellent mental health.
38% of Democrats report having excellent mental health.

"But the key finding of the analyses presented here is that
being a Republican appears to have an independent relationship
on positive mental health above and beyond what can be
explained by these types of demographic and lifestyle variables.
The exact explanation for this persistent relationship -- as noted --
is unclear."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102943/Republicans-Report-Much-
Better-Mental-Health-Than-Others.aspx