[amc] There are better things to pursue than 'freedom'

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0500

Friends, Not being an avid reader of the Statesman, I was unaware of this
article by Garland in the AAS until Bob Koehn pointed it out last evening. I
know we're supposed to humble and all, but I was proud of the preacher when I
read this. Ray

**************************

     Austin American-Statesman

Garland Robertson: Faith
There are better things to pursue than 'freedom'

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Freedom is a concept about which we hear a lot. It usually portrayed freedom as
the ultimate achievement. Yet being free provides us only with the option to
choose how our lives will be regulated.

The "pursuit of freedom" is better described as the quest to be in control.
Beyond the reach of "freedom" lies the arena in which we construct our destiny.
Here we compose the reason for the ambitions which prompt our attitudes and
behaviors. To this criterion we are slaves -- we serve this presence just as we
would serve an imposed dominating force.

Therefore freedom, despite its magnificent appeal, is not our ultimate concern.
Monitoring the reason for our behaviors is our supremely significant
occupation. In our quest to participate in eternal life, freedom neither
ensures nor prevents our arrival.

Regardless of our circumstances we always are able to choose either to be
slaves of evil, acting in ways that we know will complicate the lives of
others, or to be slaves of good, acting in ways that honor our creator's
intentions. Wrong choices are choices that disrupt the divine design; right
choices honor what the creator has intended. We experience eternal life
whenever we make the choice to be enslaved by rightness within the boundary of
our existence, regardless of our capacities or limitations.

So if achieving freedom is not the fundamental concept that orders our
existence, what would be a better focus? What characteristic could serve to
direct our passions and our capacities as we together search to satisfy the
desire for self-fulfillment common to us all? What lies beyond the deficiency
of freedom which could guide our existence, as individuals and as a community?
Is there some eternal precept that will ensure for each of us the ultimate
experience of being human?

Once more we are caused to contemplate the circumstances identified with Sept.
11, 2001, and to look for some guidance in trying to find a reason that will
deliver us from similar catastrophes. If we continue to measure the events of
Sept. 11 by the precepts of "freedom," we will continue to fail in our search
for resolution. Rather than relieving historical tensions and respecting
unfamiliar diversity, the pursuit of freedom creates segregation and dissention
because of its inherent intent to control.

In the pursuit of freedom, we perpetuate violent assaults. These behaviors have
never brought harmony and peace to community relations; why do we believe it
will be different this time? Let us search for some more inclusive value that
will prevent the complications caused by continuing to sponsor the divisive
pursuit of freedom.

Suppose as a community we dedicated our energies and resources to pursue
eliminating enemies not by violently pursuing freedom but rather by
compassionately preserving justice. What if we resolved to repent of and ask
forgiveness for our actions in the international community that have resulted
in disruption, fragmentation, distress, and desperation in the lives of
individuals and communities? What if we obeyed the ancient prophetic call to
honor justice while maneuvering to establish relationships with other
communities who share life on this planet with us? Think for a moment: When did
you ever feel anger or resentment because you were treated fairly, respected as
a person of equal value, and allowed to keep your individual dignity? When did
you ever become agitated by the actions of someone who would not do to you
anything they would not do to themselves or to someone they loved? When did you
ever become aggravated in your expressions of self-determination by someone who
affirmed your nature as a fellow creature fashioned by the divine creative
spirit?

Individuals, not nations, decide what their lives will be about. How different
would our world be if rather than envisioning ourselves as citizens of 'the
land of the free' we aspired to belong to 'the community of the just?' What
would be different for you?

The Rev. Garland Robertson is pastor at Austin Mennonite Church, participants
in Austin Area Interreligious Ministries. Learn more about them at
aaimaustin.org.

GIF image