[amc] The clarion call of a 12-year-old

  • From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:55:28 -0600

fyi --  this is from a friend in Raleigh.     It was interesting to listen
to, love the message.   If you can't fix things, stop breaking them.

Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@xxxxxxxxxx
 IBM Tivoli Maximo and ISM Foundations Enablement
Office - 512-286-2503 (t/l 966)       FAX - 512-286-2503
IBM Tivoli Training: www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/education/
----- Forwarded by Stephen Hochstetler/Austin/IBM on 12/09/2008 04:43 PM
-----

             "Craig Herb"
             <craigherb@mindsp
             ring.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <rmc-a@xxxxxxxxxx>
             rmc-a-bounces@rtp                                          cc
             net.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [RMC] - The clarion call of a
             12/09/2008 09:22          12-year-old
             AM

I’ve been reading another of Thomas Friedman’s great books Hot, Flat and
Crowded.  In it Friedman explains how global warming, rapidly growing
populations, and the astonishing expansion of the world’s middle class
through globalization have produced a planet that is “hot, flat, and
crowded.”  Great (and scary) reading.

In the final chapter he sums up our predicament with an abridged narrative
of a 12 year old addressing the UN Earth Summit in 1992.
Attached is her full speech to this group of world leaders.  OK, it is 6
minutes, but her words are very powerful… and implore us to look even
harder at the world we are passing to our children and their children.
Sometimes kids can look at our world problems with such clarity; here is
her clarion call…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g8cmWZOX8Q

Craig Herb.
Phone:  (919) 368-3973
 “The one thing on which we can all agree, all faiths and ideologies,
is that God is with the vulnerable and poor.   God is in the slums, in the
cardboard box where the
poor play house.   God is in the silence of a mother who has infected her
child with a virus
that will end both their lives.  God is in the cries heard under the rubble
of war.   God is in the
debris of wasted opportunity and lives, and God is with us if we are with
them.          – Bono

GIF image

GIF image