[amc] Texas Interfaith Disaster Response Update 2

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:00:23 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Goldsmith" <update@xxxxxxxx>
To: "rgingerich" <rgingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 3:22 AM
Subject: TIDR Update...

It was a busy 24 hours in Austin, Tx as we continued to support the relief
effort following Katrina. The Convention Center was busy all night as new
refugees were brought in. Many of those brought to Austin overnight required
immediate medical treatment - and they received it. Doctors, nurses, EMT's,
Paramedics, etc... responded quickly to the needs. Besides the responders
at the Convention Center, our hospitals also went into immediate action to help
meet the needs. At this time we are waiting to receive a list of needed
medical supplies, and we will be updating you on those needs as soon as they
are available.
Another group who was called upon to provide services to those coming into the
Convention Center was our Chaplains. The Austin Police Department Chaplains
have worked with TIDR to set up a centralized station at the Convention Center
for all Chaplains volunteering to help to coordinate through. If you are or
know of a Chaplain who wishes to assist, please contact us at 343-7858. Please
be prepared to produce proof of certification. For ministers who wish to serve
the sheltered population, there are emerging opportunities. The Austin Police
Department Chaplains have begun to provide Worship Services inside the
Convention Center and have put together a team to help coordinate this
activity. Once they have completed plans and requirements for this, all
opportunities for serving this way will be communicated. For right now,
though, please pray!
While we are talking about busy people, let's not forget the people who we
often times just "expect" to work: The Red Cross, Salvation Army, Goodwill,
United Way, Capital Area Food Bank, Austin Police, Austin Fire, City Employees,
County Employees, etc... Their efforts have been impressive and appreciated.
The television images show destruction, pain and blame. As I am on the floor
at the Convention Center, or at Palmer Auditorium, or at the Red Cross Service
Center, or with other agencies - I begin to see something emerging on the other
side: I see brightening hope, emerging unity and a clear focus on what we need
to do moving forward to help. It will be a long time before this is over - but
progress is being made. When you see these people, take a minute and let them
hear you say - 'Thank You'.
While we are talking about all of these people, let's keep in front of everyone
we know the most important needs as they stand now. The Capital Area Food Bank
of Texas can still use volunteers and food. Remember the big ones: Peanut
Butter, Tuna Fish, Water, Granola Bars! If you have time, also call The Red
Cross and get on their volunteer schedule. Within 5 minutes of walking in the
door I watched one volunteer start working. The need is great!
Gateway Community Church will be staffing the VOAD table at The Red Cross
Service Center tomorrow. If you would like to help them distribute food, phone
and gas cards, please call 343-7858 to see what times you will be needed.
Also, all organizations who have already collected or purchased such cards need
to either transport those to Gateway Community Church OR send a couple of
representatives to The Red Cross Service Center to personally distribute them.
Any organization that wishes to help in this important effort (purchasing the
cards), PLEASE contact us at 343-7858.
We are working hard to compile the organization/volunteer database. If you
have
not sent us an email with your organizations name, contact person &
information, and a list of what you would like to contribute, please do so.
Volunteers will be monitoring this account throughout the weeks to come to keep
the database updated.
Lastly, there has been questions raised about WHO is welcome in TIDR. The
answer is very simple - YOU! As an Interfaith team, we want EACH & EVERY faith
tradition that is wanting to help in the relief effort to join in. We are
coordinating daily with those on the front lines to make sure that our
volunteer efforts are appropriate, efficient and effective. We don't want to
create a larger problem in spite of our good intentions. That is why
coordination and cooperation is so important. Please forward this to everyone
you know who wants to help and help them get connected.
Please note our new email address - update@xxxxxxxxx This will be the email
address that we will be using moving forward. The new website is coming online
as you are reading this, and that information will be forwarded to you as soon
as it is available.
Thanks to each and everyone one of you for your efforts, your gifts of time,
energy and money. Don't stop - Keep on! The road ahead is long - and we are
in this together for as long as it takes.
Oh yeah - don't forget to send money! All of the organizations listed above
will be more than happy to put the money you donate to very good use. It's
still the most critical need.
We'll communicate more as we know it and wait to hear from you how we can serve
you as we continue to cooperate in our response to this tragedy.

Rev. Amy Elder
Rev. Frank Goldsmith

----- End forwarded message -----