[amc] Steve is getting better with each passing day!

  • From: pat hochstetler <srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vhamann <vhamann@xxxxxxxxxx>, kcalmond <kcalmond@xxxxxxxxx>, amc <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sheca_sheca <sheca_sheca@xxxxxxxxx>, "donna.duerksen" <donna.duerksen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, glinatsisi <glinatsisi@xxxxxxxxx>, norris0416 <norris0416@xxxxxxxxx>, cathymorg <cathymorg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Natalie <Natalie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rzrback_99 <rzrback_99@xxxxxxxxxxx>, cyndyreid12 <cyndyreid12@xxxxxxxxx>, headspeed <headspeed@xxxxxxxxxxx>, daryl <daryl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, carrie <carrie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, gailsmail000 <gailsmail000@xxxxxxxxx>, "phil.hochstetler" <phil.hochstetler@xxxxxxxxx>, mahvha <mahvha@xxxxxxxxx>, sunshine2199 <sunshine2199@xxxxxxxxx>, capatter <capatter@xxxxxxxxx>, rvoran <rvoran@xxxxxxx>, jsw69intadv <jsw69intadv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, rebeccarmt <rebeccarmt@xxxxxxxxx>, earthandwatermassage <earthandwatermassage@xxxxxxxxx>, ldiener789 <ldiener789@xxxxxxxxxx>, ddiener <ddiener@xxxxxxxxxx>, bkmandlem <bkmandlem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nclifehealth <nclifehealth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sanchez.rafael" <sanchez.rafael@xxxxxxxxx>, rossgr <rossgr@xxxxxxxxxx>, rchoch <rchoch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, sahhrh <sahhrh@xxxxxxxxx>, snmartin <snmartin@xxxxxxxxx>, drohrer123 <drohrer123@xxxxxxxxx>, janemarawar <janemarawar@xxxxxxxxx>, millerms <millerms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, chulce <chulce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, peanut_shows <peanut_shows@xxxxxxxxx>, jamielwelch <jamielwelch@xxxxxxxxx>, linda <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ceilmach3 <ceilmach3@xxxxxxxxx>, "rick.mach" <rick.mach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, libharris <libharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ctwo <ctwo@xxxxxxxxxx>, "corine.ross" <corine.ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, shawst <shawst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:12:31 -0500

Hello everyone,

Steve has been in the hospital a whole week now.  For only 3 full days after
surgery, he is doing fantastic!  Each day he gets stronger and accomplishes
more.  Today the big accomplishment was walking two passes 'around the
block' -- unassisted!  He was walking a lot faster than I thought he would,
and wasn't too tired afterwards.  He wanted to be done with the oxygen
tube, however when they measured his oxygen it was at 89%.  So, the nurse
put it back on for sleeping as a precaution.

The heart surgeon was hopeful that Steve would walk today.  He'll be glad to
hear how well he did.  Steve's good health and strength that he had before
the surgery is helping to speed along his recovery.  (Thank you Nathan!)  It
is also making getting up/down a LOT easier.  The nurse in training was
showing me how to physically brace myself to aid him in getting up/down.  He
is able to move himself really well, and he is good about not disturbing his
chest.

We haven't heard anything regarding when Steve will be released.  As soon as
I know, I will let y'all know.  He prefers to have his room quiet, so if you
want to visit please come to our house or call after he is home.  If you
would like to send a delivery, the delivery people have been good about
leaving it with our next door neighbor.  I'm getting closer to figuring out
what food will be helpful.  His diet will be restricted to low fat, low
sodium and no beef or pork. (There may be more restrictions that I will
learn about.)

Steve's body is still working to get out all the fluids built up.  The
swelling in his hands/legs is somewhat reduced from yesterday.  It still has
a ways to go, but I'm not sure how much more reduction is needed for him to
be released.  He has been able to cough successfully and is at peace with
coughing.  (Thank you for praying!)

During the surgery they have wires they connect to the heart in case they
need to respond to a heart failure after surgery.  Steve still has his wire
in.  I hope they get removed tomorrow.

We are learning all kinds of things about the body and how it responds to
different 'tinkering'.  Although his platelet count is back to pre-surgery
levels, I think his hematologist is OK with that.  The medical staff would
like to have his blood sugar a bit more stable and closer to 100 and
definitely under 200.  He is getting smaller amounts of insulin than before,
so I think that is a good sign.  Most of the time the fasting blood sugar is
closer to 130 (after food has digested).

His hematologist, cardiotoligist, heart surgeon and primary care doctors
have stopped by every day to see him.  They are pleased with the progress
Steve is making.  The nursing and medical staff have been busy toward the
end of the week.  They are still giving him great care.  I'm sure that Steve
is one of the nurses' favorite patients since he is easy-going and patient
while they are helping others.  He's my favorite too!

Thank you all so very much for your continued prayers.  I do believe it is
helping Steve to have better recovery result.  We feel so cared for and
uplifted by everyone.

I will send another update tomorrow night...maybe we will have a target date
for release from the hospital.

With Christ's Love,
Pat