[amc] Special Foreign Service Group Luncheon Thursday, 04 March 2010

  • From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:16:29 -0600

A friend of mine is a retired Foreign Service person and helps coordinates
these events.     Since this deals with peace topics and Central America I
thought there might be interest by some individuals of going to this event.
If you are interested you can RSVP by phone with John and let him know that
I passed this information on to you.    I am going to try and juggle my
Thursday schedule to also attend.

Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@xxxxxxxxxx
Manager, Technical Enablement --- Service Process Automation
Office - 512-286-2503 (t/l 966)       FAX - 512-286-2503
IBM Tivoli Training: www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/education/

THE FOREIGN SERVICE GROUP
                             - Central Texas -

    Special luncheon Thursday 04 March 2010 at the Mirabelle Restaurant
                    Speaker:  Ambassador Charles A Ford

            TODAY'S STRUGGLE FOR PEACE AND PROSPERITY IN TODAY'S CENTRAL
                                 AMERICA :
                        CHALLENGES FOR U.S. POLICY
            Our speaker, Ambassador Charles A. “Chuck” Ford, with 28 years
in State, Commerce, and the Defense Departments
has the experience and perspective to provide us with a new framework for
looking at the forces of change that are sweeping over Central America.
As he points out, there are lessons from what is happening in Central
America that are relevant to other challenges in our hemisphere and beyond.

            In Central America today, change is not driven as before by the
ideology of the left and right, but rather by two different visions of the
future
for the region. There are those who seek an ever more democratic and
prosperous region that is fully integrated into the evolving global market
place, providing social justice and economic opportunity to all of its
citizens. There are other forces that are resistant to this idea that the
region,
or our hemisphere, should be more deeply integrated into the global
community, with its rules-based system, respect for the rule of law,
democratic governance and open marketplace.  These powerful forces prefer
the chaos of weak states with their weak institutions,
where money is made and influence exerted from the safety of the darkness
of the licit and illicit marketplace.

           We have an enormous stake in engaging with our friends both in
the region and globally to understand the obstacles they face
in pursuing their vision of democratic change and social justice.  Our
successful collaboration will allow us to provide long-term policy
solutions
in the areas of security, economic growth and social policy, especially
containing the flow of illegal immigration.
It also allows us to provide short-term humanitarian assistance with the
knowledge that there is a long-term vision to self-governance.
Our failure to respond with creative new approaches is unimaginable.

           Ambassador Ford first worked in the region in the 1970’s with
the Inter-American Development Bank, returning a number of times
with the US & Foreign Commercial Service to serve in Venezuela, Argentina
and Guatemala and from 2005-2008 as U.S. Ambassador to Honduras.
He retired recently after serving as Political Advisor to the Southern
Command.  During his career in the Foreign Service,
Chuck Ford served in Washington, Western Europe, and Latin America working
on issues related to trade, development and
democratic governance.  He brings the combined weight of this experience to
bear on this discussion, a very real example of the need
for a smarter approach to conquer what might seem to be intractable
problems.

Our menu

Salad
Southwestern Caesar Salad with Sonoran Croutons, followed by a choice of:

A- Thai Coconut Green Curry White Fish with Hasmine Rice   Spicy housemade
green curry sauce with coconut milk, sugar snap peas,
and onion, tossed with seared Catfish chuncks, served with Jasmine rice and
broccoli..

B- Linguine Pasta with Red Pepper Grilled Chicken & Toasted Pecan Pesto
Linguine pasta with grilled chicken, tossed in a white Creole
made from leeks, grilled asparagus, red bell peppers, and zucchini, roasted
artichokes, garlic, white wine, creole seasonings and cream;
served with a toasted pecan pesto.,

C- Rotisserie-Roasted Chicken  Rotisserie -roasted Chicken marinated in red
miso, cardamom, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic,
and red wine, served with tumeric rice and vegetable succotash

D- Vegetarian Entree

Dessert
White Chocolate Almond Cheesecake         Beverage:  Iced Tea Service
Wine and other drinks are extra please pay the wait staff directly.

The Mirabelle Restaurant is at 8127 Mesa Dr., Austin Texas 78759.
The restaurant is on the East side of Mesa just south of Steck with lots of
parking.
From 11:45 am for socializing, please be seated by 12:30

RSVP  please before  noon Monday 01 March with your menu choice of A or B
or C or D.
via email to jmclean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or by phone to john @ 512-797-0538

Cost $25. Checks should be made out to THE FOREIGN SERVICE GROUP and mailed
to TFSG, PO Box 50246, Austin, TX 78763-0246.
No shows or cancellations after noon on Monday 01 March will be billed $20.

Please invite some guests, and soon as seating is limited, to this March 4
lunch.
The American Foreign Service represents you, if more people realize how
important our Foreign Service is, our nation will be better off.

  John  tel. 512-797-0538 jsw69intadv@xxxxxxxxxxx and Joe McLean,
jmclean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx