[amc] Men's fellowship bkfst - what Ron mentioned

  • From: Werner S <wjs3108@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mennonite Church Austin <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:17:41 -0800 (PST)

As it happens, this was published today.  Ron Diener
was talking about it at breakfast this morning.

http://www.fcnp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2650&Itemid=35

The Peak Oil Crisis: Polity on trial

Written by Tom Whipple
Thursday, 06 March 2008

The coming storm will bring one of the most severe
tests of the cohesiveness of governments and peoples
that the world has known for a long time.

Over the last century, the industrial societies have
built extremely complex and specialized civilizations.
A simple example is that here in America only two
percent of us now live on farms where they presumably
are capable of readily producing their own food. Only
0.3 percent of Americans now claim to be farmers. The
remaining 99+ percent of us are dependent on oil-based
food processing, storage, and transport for our daily
sustenance.

The fate of most of the world?s peoples is going to
depend on how well we, as societies ? here and around
the world,- get our collective acts together over the
coming decades and organize to survive the transition
to a post-oil world.

Currently the body politic in America is paralyzed by
a rough political balance between those clinging to
20th or perhaps even 19th century concerns and those
who, however vaguely, understand that things must
change. So far the U.S. Congress has done little to
prepare for the massive changes to our economy and
lifestyles that are now only a few short years away.

(rest at above URL)