[amc] John Stoner on "The Passion..."

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:38:49 -0600

Nature

Tuesday 2/24/04 Flier for Gibson's "Passion"

  Remembering
  that Jesus spoke for himself
  centuries before
  Mel Gibson’s movie came out.

  Did watching the movie THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST help you to understand what
Jesus meant when he said “If any want to become my followers, let them deny
themselves and take up their cross and follow me?” (Mark 8)

  If you do indeed want to be a follower of Jesus, are you interested in doing
that on his terms? That is to say, interested in letting Jesus, perhaps even
more than Mel Gibson or centuries of church tradition, define what following
Jesus would mean?

  To follow Jesus, one would need to see where Jesus is going; to see the path,
the journey, and not only the point of arrival.

  And so following Jesus would involve understanding not only his death, but
also, no doubt, his life and his teachings.

  Did the movie show you what there was in Jesus’ life and teachings which
explains why some people and some powerful institutions of church and state
wished to execute him? In other words, did the movie help you to understand why
Jesus was killed, not only the fact that he suffered a horrible death? (Many
people have suffered horrible deaths).

  More than a comma
  You may have noticed that the movie is a little like the church’s confession
in the Apostle’s Creed -- it passes over the life and teachings of Jesus. In
the case of the creed, passes over with a comma (born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate). As a consequence, the death comes without a
connection to the life; the life is rendered virtually irrelevant. And so of
course, the life, and teachings, have no chance to explain the death. Could we
give his life more than a comma?

  Could we believe Jesus, as well as believe in him?
  Jesus lived his life with the poor, the outcast, the marginalized, and even
the rebels of society. He taught that those who hunger and thirst to see
justice prevail will be satisfied, and he blessed the peacemakers (not the
warmakers). He taught love of God, and of neighbor as self. But he went
further, he taught love of enemies! (Matthew 5, Luke 6).

  Domineering religious and political powers kill enemies.
  It has been fairly suggested that while we may not know all that it means to
love our enemies, it probably means at least do not kill them. The cross was
the instrument of political execution used by the Romans to deter rebellion.
There was a fundamental conflict between two methods of dealing with enemies:
Jesus said love them; entrenched religious and political ideologies and powers
said kill them (they truly believed their violence was redemptive). It could
not be both ways. If people took Jesus’ way, the other way was doomed to lose
adherents and power. And so, of course, they felt threatened by Jesus.

  So, what is Mel’s answer, your answer, to the question Jesus asked?
  Jesus asked, Is it lawful to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?
(Mark 3) If you ask that question of a draft board or a recruiting officer, of
a Saddam or a George, you are beginning to take up your cross. You are
believing Jesus enough to risk the cross, concretely, not just symbolically.
Now you are believing Jesus (enough to take him seriously), not just believing
in him. Again, in Jesus’ own words, whoever would be my follower, let them take
up their cross and follow me.

  Every Church A Peace Church, PO Box 240 Akron PA 17501 www.ecapc.org

 "The only people on earth who do  not  see Christ and his teachings as
non-violent are Christians." --Mohandas K. Gandhi

GIF image

JPEG image