[amc] Fw: [girights] GI Rights Update

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:17:23 -0500

Friends,

Another opportunity to for our faith community to connect with others of like
values.

Ray

  From: kj141@xxxxxxxxx
  To: austingirights@xxxxxxxx
  Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:19:43 -0500

  From: Elizabeth Wagoner <elizabeth.wagoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: gi rights <girights@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:22:22 -0500

  Dan suggested that I put together a letter for Katherine to send out to the
entire GI Rights-Texas diaspora. Here's what I came up with. Please email with
revisions or additions...let's try to get this out by maybe this evening? In
addition to GI Rights folks on your registration list, Katherine, this should
be CCed to steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx so he knows what's up and to the YAA coordinator
at ramblinboy@xxxxxxxxx so he knows about the potluck.

  Liz

   _________________________________

  Dear future GI Rights Hotline colleagues, With less than a week left until
the GI Rights Hotline training, the Austin coordinators want to make sure that
all folks within and outside of Austin are on the same page about what's
happening this weekend. So, here is a list of details. As always, feel free to
email austingirights@xxxxxxxx for more information.

  1. Location: The training will happen at the University of Texas School of
Law. The room number is TNH 2.123. To find the room, come into the school at
the Trinity entrance, through the doors with the phrase "That they may truly
and impartially administer justice" written above them (pictured in the map
hyperlinked below), then down the hallway to the right, past Student Affairs
and the Dean's office, straight on, until you get to a small hallway of
classrooms. There, you will find 2.123 on your right. A map of the Law School
may be found here: http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/tnh.html

  2. Times: The training will happen on Saturday, 10/1 from 9:00 - 4:00, and on
Sunday 10/2 from 9:00 - 1:00. We are stopping at 4 instead of 5 on Saturday to
allow participants to go to the counter-recruitment rally organized by Youth
Activists of Austin. LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED on Saturday.

  3. Potluck: on Saturday, 10/1 at 7 PM at ACLU of Texas, 1210 Rosewood. This
is a social event to which all trainees, YAA folks, interested parties, and
hosts of out-of-towners are invited. There will be some informal talks by
people active in area counter-recruitment efforts and good vegeterian eating.
Out-of-towners: do not feel obligated to bring anything to this, since you lack
a kitchen in which to prepare food! But, if you insist on bringing a favorite
dish/refreshment, we will all be glad to consume it.

  4. Funding: There are many costs associated with this training, which include
Steve Morse's plane ticket at $300, the standard CCCO training fee of $400, and
Steve's expenses for the weekend, estimated at $100. Everyone seems to agree
that it is most reasonable to split these costs between cities, so that each
group pays a portion of the fixed cost based on representation. If Austin is
50% of the trainees, we'll pay about $400. If College Station is 10%, then
they'll pay $80. And so on. We will let you know by this Thursday how much each
group is responsible for.

  5. Materials: Each group is responsible for financing the cost of materials
for their folks. Materials cost $45 per set, and groups may decide to share
materials. Please let us know by THIS THURSDAY how many sets of materials your
group will need. Please also bring your own pens, paper, and/or laptops as you
see fit, in order to take notes. There will be places to plug in computers in
the classroom.

  6. Registration: Hopefully everyone has registered by now. If you have not,
or if you know of others from your city who are planning to come, please
register by THIS THURSDAY.

  7. Houston: We're worried that your lives have been disrupted by this series
of hurricanes...please let us know if we can do anything to help you, and/or if
you'll have any trouble coming this weekend.

  8. Coordination after the training: There are questions about how the Hotline
will work with so many volunteers in different cities. This will be a topic of
conversation with Steve during the training, and it's probably a good idea to
brainstorm some about this in advance. Please email or call us if you have any
questions or concerns...or if you get lost in Austin...or if you need help
finding a place to stay, anything. Liz may be reached at 512-663-9352 and
Katherine at 512-659-1304. We're looking forward to meeting/working with you!

  Regards, The Austin GI Rights group