[amc] Fw: Fwd: Fw: Stop the Whipping in Sulaimaniah

  • From: laura and garland <lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austin mennonite church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:07:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Friends....this is a note sent out by the CPT team about the recent violence in the area Garland is serving.  The CPT member that was arrested was yes, you guessed it, our very own Garland.  He says he "interfaced with the security forces, was interrupted in his filming of the event on 4 different occasions, but the exchange was professional, even courteous.  Garland always greets them first and they are quick to respond in a positive way.  Whenever they learned that he was working with human rights and was international, they released him on all occasions.  Once he was in the police truck before they realized who he was and were quick to let him out.  One of the members of the local NGO organization was there and helped explain his presence."

He says "there is nothing to worry about.  They want to be visible and let the security know they are watching what was going on.  So far, it has worked well for them."

He further told me that about 20 people were arrested and some beaten with plastic batons, but that was the extent of the violence.  The CPT team interviewed a young man who was taken behind the curtain and whipped 5-6 times with the baton then told to leave and not return. He came back and talked with Garland's group about his experience.

Garland was going to the provincial capitol to request meetings to see if they will be allowed to return to the village.  He's still trying to get out there.

Thanks for your continued prayers....

Laura

Date: Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM
To: "Malecha, Peter K (Erbil)"